Peaky Blinders is a fascinating series with an exciting story and lovable characters that shines like a diamond in the series with the presence of stars such as Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy. here are some Interesting Facts About Peaky Blinders.
The first season of the English series Peaky Blinders aired in 2013 on the BBC and only half of the fifth season remains until the end of the series.
The series has also won many awards, which is the BAFTA Award for Best Drama Series is one of them.
In the fifth season, the series managed to get 8.8 points from imdb site and 92% satisfaction of the critics of Rotten Tomatoes site.
This series is ranked 55th in the list of the best series on IMDB.
Picky Blinders tells the story of a family gang in 1919 in Birmingham, England. The main character in the story, named Thomas Shelby, played by Cillian Murphy, is a British soldier who has just returned from the war and is working to improve her family by leading them. and we are introduced to the amazing performance of actors such as Adrien Brody, Helen McCurry, Paul Anderson, Sophie Rundle and Charlotte Riley.
1. Steven Knight wrote the screenplay based on stories told by his father
“When I was seven or eight years old, my dad used to read me a story about a family in the Small Heath neighborhood. They were known as the Sheldon family, which eventually became the Shelby family in the series” Steven Knight said in an interview.
The interesting thing is that he wrote the whole script himself and did not allow others to interfere.
He considers the show ‘his baby’ and doesn’t like the actors to go off-script.
2. The origin of the name of Peaky Blinders
Many believe that they were nicknamed Peaky Blinders because of the razor blade on the family members’ hats, which they used against their enemies in critical situations. Of course, this is one of the most likely hypotheses, and there are others who strongly oppose this theory.
They think the nickname Peaky Blinders is because of the type of cover and hat they wore, and in fact they used their metal boots or belts and knives to fight.
3. The detective in the series, Sam Neill, has enlisted the help of Liam Neeson to speak in an Irish accent.
Sam Neill for playing his role personally enlisted the help of Liam Neeson to speak with the Irish accent.
Chester Campbell is a detective who went to Birmingham on the orders of Winston Churchill.
he said in an interview with the BBC:
“Until years ago, I could speak a little bit of the Irish dialect, but over the years, because of living in New Zealand, I completely forgot the dialect of my birthplace. When I arrived at the filming location to begin the production process, the creators of the series told me that this was not very important, but because I wanted to play the role of a detective from my hometown, it was important for me to do it in the best possible way. I do. “So with the help of my good friends, including Liam Neeson, I was able to learn some Irish accent again.”
4. Cillian Murphy and Helen McCurry had a hard time speaking with Birmingham accent
Along with Sam Neill, there were other actors who had trouble speaking with the right accent.
Helen McCurry says she listened to Ozzy Osbourne Birmingham-based singer for hours every day for about six months. she as well Listened to Birmingham Radio to speak Birmingham accent.
Also Cillian Murphy solve his problem by attending the real pop Grayson Cafe with the help of Steven Knight.
5. Excessive smoking of Cillian Murphy during filming
In almost all of the scenes, we see Thomas Shelby smoking. Because Cillian Murphy hates smoking. The filmmakers have produced herbal cigarettes that are not harmful to the health of the actors.
it is interesting to know Cillian Murphy smoked over 3,000 cigarettes in season four. Since he doesn’t actually smoke, though, he uses rose-scented herbal cigarettes. But no information is available about other characters smoking. and we don’t know what they really smoke.
6. All scenes are filmed to make Birmingham look like hell in the audience’s mind
The first time the viewers see Cafe Grayson. There is a huge flame in the sequence. And the second time there is a flame behind Thomas Shelby, and also in the third part.
“All the scenes of the first season of the series that refer to Birmingham Hell are completely intentional and recorded with a previous schedule,” Colm McCarthy said.
7. Jason Statham could have played in the series
Jason Statham and Steven Knight both starred in the 2013 film Redemption. And because of their past collaboration, Steven Knight was considering Statham in the Peaky Blinders.
Steven Knight said in an interview:
When I offered Jason a role in the series, he refused because he was involved in another project and he was committed to them, and I have a lot of respect for his decision,” Knight said in an interview. “Jason is a very, very kind person with an amazing personality that any director will enjoy working with.”
8. Michael Gray and John Shelby are actually brothers
Michael Gray, played by Finn Cole, and John Shelby, played by Joe Cole, play long-lost cousins in the show and are also brothers in real life.
Joe has starred on the show since the outset, and when the part of Michael Gray came up, he convinced his brother to audition for the role.
so Finn owes his presence in the series to his brother Joe.
Finn Cole In an interview said:
I had no intention of auditioning for this role; I was a student and at that time I had to finish my studies. After Joe suggested this to me, the subjects lost much of their appeal to me, and the thought of appearing in a TV series thrilled me. At that moment, I decided to call Joe and tell him that I would audition for the role of Michael; I thank God that I had not yet been cast for that role. When I called Joe, he lied to harass me that the creators of the series had hired an actor for the role;
After testing Finn, the creators of the series were very impressed with his ability and immediately offered him the role of Michael.
9. Famous fans of the series
David Bowie was a big fan of the series. And the famous rapper, Snoop Dogg, is another famous fan. He and Steven Knight had a three-hour meeting in London. And Knight was very happy after talking to Snoop Dogg and said he has a very interesting personality.
But without a doubt, the main fan is David Beckham David Beckham can be considered one of the legends of the history of English football and Manchester United. He has also been active in the fashion industry and has shown interest in Peaky Blinders in recent years with the release of images. He has shared many photos on social media sites such as Instagram, in which he is wearing the clothes of Peaky Blinders’ characters.
Beckham has gone a step further with his artistic background in the fashion industry. He set up a production line called Picky Blinders to produce the clothes that the actors in the film wear for the people. Needless to say, these clothes are also very expensive.
There are also rumors of Beckham appearing in the final episodes of the series, which Steven Knight has not denied.
10. The filming took place in Liverpool
The challenge for the creators of the series was to make the city look like the 1930s by making changes to the architecture of the houses. It is interesting to know that the neighborhoods depicted in the series really exist and the people of the city are currently living in the same houses.
The story of the series and the events take place in Birmingham, but the filming location is in Toxteth, Liverpool, and today it has become a tourist place for many fans who want to see the houses and places of the series up close.
11. Tom Hardy character
One of the most fascinating and mysterious roles in the series is the character Alfie Solomons, which Tom Hardy was able to play in the best way. Although we do not see much of his acting, with his role-playing, he greatly improved the quality of the series.
Tom Hardy is the only actor in the series to write some of his own dialogue. He had a problem with the director in the beginning, but when Knight saw his interesting ideas, he got along with him
12. Stephen Knight has set the script and timing for the end of the series
Steven Knight said that the series will end with the approach of World War II. He also said:
This will be an ambitious ending, because perhaps with the outbreak of World War II we could have seen many stories about this family and the issues surrounding it, but this will not be the case, and the beginning of an important event like World War II will be when the series ends. will receive. I have always wanted this series to narrate the details of a family life in the period between the two world wars, and I very much hope that I have achieved this.
Facts About Cast
- A number of actors from the Peaky Blinders series also starred in the Game of Thrones series.
- Peaky Blinders is the fourth collaboration between Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy.
- Cillian Murphy does not actually smoke.
- Cillian Murphy is originally Irish and plays an Englishman.
- The cigarettes used by Cillian Murphy are herbal and not tobacco or nicotine.
- By the end of the second season, Cillian Murphy had smoked more than 3,000 cigarettes.
- Murphy had smoked more than 6,000 till now.
- Tom Hardy is the only actor in the series to write some of his dialogue.
- Annabelle Wallis (as Grace Burgess) is of English descent and plays an Irishman here.
- Jason Statham was one of the actors Steven Knight wanted to play in the Peaky Blinders series.
- Liam Nisson was one of the people who helped sam Neill (as Detective Belfast) learn the Irish accent.
- In the real world, Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley are married and have two children.
- Billy Kimber and Derby Sabini were rivals and one of the great gangsters of their time who really existed.
- Leonard Cohen wrote the music for the third season.
- Steven Knight does not watch many movies and series to avoid being influenced by his writing.
- In the series, the idea of hiding a razor in a hat is taken from one of “John Douglas” novels, and Peaky Blinders did not actually have such hats.
- Many artists, including David Bowie, Snoop Dogg, and David Beckham, are die-hard fans of the series.
- A virtual reality game from the Peaky Blinders series is under construction.
- There are more water canals in Birmingham than in Venice.
- All the fires and explosions that took place in the first two seasons were all real.
- Some scenes were filmed in real-time to look more natural;
- One of the episodes of the series was filmed at 4 am in the winter.
- Peaky Blinders was not as powerfully as shown in the series.
- The Peaky Blinders series will end with the beginning of World War II.
The first half of the fifth season of Peaky Blinders, which is the last season, aired last year, and the final episodes of this popular series will air soon.